Based on individual and collective personal experience, the following are some moms’ secrets to a truly relaxing vacation (and yes I realize these are internally contradictory, such is the nature of the thing!). Please add your secrets in the comments below.
- recognize the distinctions between: family visits, family trips, and vacations
- leave your children behind
- bring your children and, depending on their ages, also bring: baby gates!, outlet covers, white noise machines, “loveys,” extra clothes and supplies, iPhone apps for kids, headphones and a portable DVD player, a babysitter or relatives who will babysit
- vacation with another family with children the same ages
- turn off and tune out from cell phones, smart phones, email, etc.
- leave a careful set of instructions so you don’t have to be available to answer questions or expend precious energy worrying about what you may have forgotten to say
- sign your Will and trust and legally name guardians for your children well before you start worrying about what to pack or what instructions to leave behind
- don’t over-schedule yourselves
- do schedule a massage!
Wishing you safe travels and happy memories! Bula Bula!